CBOTB

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review: Lioness Arising

Unstoppable.


Like a slow-moving train that eventually gains power and speed, making it a dangerous force to be reckoned with, Lioness Arising begins in an almost innocuous fashion. In fact, it took me almost a week to really get into it! Maybe it was the 1st trimester of pregnancy playing tricks on me, but every time I tried to get through a few pages, I began to feel like a lioness after a large meal in the heat of the day. *Yawn* Thankfully, I decided to plug through, and boy am I glad I did!

Bevere has done her homework on the mighty lioness and compares her well to Christian women today who have the Lion of the Tribe of Judah living inside them. She challenges us to wake up, recognize who we are, come together in unity for the purpose of bringing the Kingdom to our earthly realm, and keep our eyes fixed on the Light of the world. As a stay at home mom, I needed to hear that because it’s easy for me to get bogged down in dirty diapers and dishes and forget that God desires to raise me up and use me for His good purposes.

As for her use of The Message, I thought that in this case it was helpful because it opened up the biblical concepts to more people who may not have a clear grasp on Scripture. She even says that she is not “replacing the Bible with a paraphrase” (pg. 29), but bringing in relevant language and additional research with the use of The Message.

I felt my heart stirred by many of her stories, particularly regarding her time working overseas with women who are caught in the sex-trade industry. Perhaps God was using this book to bring to light some way I can pray, give, help in that area. I believe that her inspiring details would probably do that for many people, for how can one read about some of the things she experienced and not be moved in the least?

Overall, I believe that this book is one that is a keeper. Even better, read it and then share it with a girlfriend! If we all get the heart of this book within us, we can be unstoppable!

I received Lisa Bevere's "Lioness Arising" for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments: