CBOTB

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Book Review: Sun Stand Still



Sun Stand Still
Steven Furtick



The Big Idea:
What happens when you dare to ask God for the impossible? If you have the audacity to ask, God has the ability to respond.

Thumbs: UP!

The Review:
I recently had the chance to sit down and read Steven Furtick's book, Sun Stand Still, and was extremely encouraged and challenged to become more audacious in my own faith as I did so. Three things I really appreciated about this book: 1) Furtick writes in a very conversational way, making it seem like he just sat down with his reader over a Caramel Macchiato and he's just sharing a life-giving vision with them. It's easy to follow, not full of a lot of churchy words, and interesting enough to keep one's attention. 2) He gets very practical by writing out specific how-to's for getting started on a more audacious faith journey. I love practical. 3) Even while giving the practical how-to's he's not putting God in a box and saying that He has or will do everything you tell Him to. It's not a "throw your wallet down and hop on one foot while giving a shout and God will do whatever you want Him to" kind of deal. It's more of a "try this, listen to God, see what He says, and continue to have faith that when your desires are matched up with His will, He will see it come to pass...somehow. It's your job to keep the faith."

I liked how real he was in many of his illustrations. As a pastor's wife, mother, and church planter, I was able to relate to many of his examples, which helped me solidify my own faith strategy for many things I am believing for. 

I also like the fact that the book's website is chock-full of great ideas to get this information to a larger group, say a church or small group and help them work through the main points and put them into practice in their world.



On a Personal Note:
I am very excited to be laboring in Charlotte alongside the Furticks and Elevation church folk. I love what God is doing through them and many other life-giving churches in the city and can't wait to see how RWOC-Charlotte can contribute as we see the Kingdom come to the Queen City!

1 comment:

marylanierd said...

I am dying to read this book! He spoke at church (NewSpring) last year and his book is on Perry's must read list!
Glad you have it a Thumbs Up!!! :)